Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield are giving an update on the Covid-19 situation, which is live on the Indian Weekender FaceBook page.
Today 20 new cases have been announced, taking the total to 922;
352 cases are now fully recovered. additionally 3 new cases are in MIQ as they are returnees from oversees.
Total unlinked cases are now at 34 including 8 from todays cases.
* 18 people are now in hospitals with the virus, four in intensive care.
* Three more mystery cases have been found at Middlemore Hospital.
* Experts warn Auckland is now highly unlikely to move down alert levels soon
Speaking at today’s media update, Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield said all the new cases were in Auckland.
There are 379 cases in the Mangere church subcluster, another group with 164 cases, and 76 in the Birkdale social network. There are 16 subclusters or groups of interest, seven of which are considered to be contained.
In these three subclusters there is concern about possible spread beyond households.
There are 150 very close contacts still in their 14-day isolation period. So far about 16 per cent of very close contacts have tested positive.
Of yesterday’s 23 cases, 11 are contacts of other cases, seven are household members of a case, and 10 were potentially infectious in the community. Three of them are unlinked.
The case from Middlemore who tested positive last weekend has now been linked to the wider outbreak, Bloomfield said.
New locations of interest continue to be identified, and Bloomfield asked people to keep checking these on the minsitry’s website.
Auckland is still at level 4 until 11.59pm on Tuesday, 14 September. Cabinet is set to meet Monday to look at changes to that level. The rest of New Zealand is in alert level 2.
Three people including a five-month-old baby who visited Middlemore Hospital this week tested positive for Covid-19, Ministry of Health said in a statement released late last night.
The new cases at Middlemore come after a string of other cases connected to the hospital this week, and raise concerns that Auckland will be forced to stay at level 4 longer.
The cabinet is set to meet tomorrow to look at alert levels. Auckland has been in full lockdown since 17 August.
Meanwhile, nurses at Auckland City Hospital are concerned about how to deal with visitors who ignore mask mandates and are saying they need more help.
( IWK Bureau)